Due to Brexit, from 1st January 2021 it is likely that you will need a Green Card to take a vehicle into Europe. A list of EEA countries is available here.

Frequently Asked Questions – Green Cards

1. What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that proves you are insured to drive in the EU. They’re issued and signed by the vehicle insurer and include the vehicle and registration details.  You need to have one with you if you’re driving in Europe and you will need a second one if you’re towing a trailer or caravan.

2. What countries will require a Green Card?

A Green Card will be required for driving any UK-registered vehicle in the EEA and some other countries (Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland). A list of EEA countries is available here.

3. What happens if I don’t have a Green Card?

If you don’t have the required Green Card, you could be breaking the law, be refused entry into the European country, receive a fine and/or have your vehicle seized.

4. How do I get a Green Card?

It’s simple. Just complete the Request Form located here and we will email you a Green Card. There’s no need to wait until close to your departure date – beat the rush and request it early. Please call us on 01277 243004 if you require the Green Card within 7 days.

5. How much is a Green Card?

We do not charge a fee for the issuing of Green Cards.

6. Do I need a Green Card to travel to the Republic of Ireland?

Although the details have not yet been finalised, it is expected that a Green Card will be required to travel to the Republic of Ireland. Further information, as it is updated, can be found here.

7. How do I change the details on a Green Card?

If the details on your Green Card are incorrect, please email us at service@shieldtotalinsurance.co.uk or call us on 01277 243004.

8. If I want to tow a trailer or caravan, will I need a separate Green Card for it?

Yes, if you are planning to tow a trailer or caravan, you will need to request a second Green Card from your car insurer.

9. Does it need to be printed on green paper?

No. You must have a printed Green Card with you when travelling in the EEA, but it doesn’t need to be on green paper (white is fine). It can also be printed double-sided.

10. What happens if my insurance is due to be renewed while I am away?

The Green Card will only be valid until your renewal date. if renewal is arranged before the Green Card is issued, then we will provide the Green Card to cover the full period of travel.

11. The motor certificate currently documents European cover on the back page.  Do I still need a Green Card?

Yes, current advice is that a Green Card will need to be carried along with the motor certificate from 1st January 2021.

Frequently Asked Questions – Other New Rules Affecting A Trip To The EU

12. Do I need to do anything with my number plate?

You will need to place a GB sticker on the rear of the vehicle and trailer, even if the number plate has a Euro symbol or GB national identifier.

13. Do I need an International Driving Permit?

You will still need to carry your UK driving licence with you. Depending on which country you are visiting, you may also need an International Driving Permit which can be purchased from the Post Office.

14. Are passport rules changing?

You’ll need to have at least 6 months left on an adult and child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland).  If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

15. Can I still use my European Health Insurance card?

European Health Insurance Cards will still provide some health cover in the EU. Read here for more information.

16. Have the rules changed about taking pets into Europe?

From 1st January 2021, a current pet passport currently issued in the UK will no longer be valid in the EU. From 1st January 2021, before your dog, cat or ferret will need an animal health certificate (AHC) instead of a pet passport.  Government guidance can be found here.