How will Brexit affect my insurance policy?

Written by Stuart Craig on 14th February 2020

So, there we have it. Britain has officially left the European Union. Join us as we keep a close eye on how future Brexit-related negotiations may affect your insurance premium at the end of the current transition period.

So, what’s the deal?

The majority of our insurance policies remain unaffected by Brexit and at the moment you aren’t legally obliged to carry a Green Card in order to drive in Europe, however you may find there are some changes to the way you travel to or from Europe after the transition period (31st December 2020).

For more information please refer to the section below that references motor insurance.

Campervan, Car, Motorcycle & Motorhome policies

Although our withdrawal agreement has now been confirmed, you are still able to drive in Europe in the same way as before Brexit. This also includes the Republic of Ireland. However we must stress that this is subject to change after the transition period ends on the 31st December 2020.

For the rest of this year providing that you have European Cover (up to 180 days) added to your Campervan, Car, Motorcycle or Motorhome insurance policy, you are free to drive, ride and explore the EU roads.

Due to the fact that Brexit withdrawal negotiations will continue until the end of the year, there is currently no legal requirement to apply for a Green Card to drive in Europe. If you would like one as a precaution, please get in touch.

We do however recommend a few essential tips such as making sure you:

  • bring your UK photocard/paper driving licence;
  • have at least six months on your passport;
  • display a GB sticker on your motor vehicle

More information on this subject can be found on the website.

Caravan & Trailer policies

Please see guidance above. Currently you don’t need to carry a Green Card in order to tow your caravan in Europe.

European breakdown cover

You’ll be pleased to know that your policy will stay the same. If you have purchased European breakdown cover, you will be completely covered for up to 120 days if your motor vehicle breaks down whilst travelling in Europe.

Looking for a related product?

Motorhome Insurance

Specialist motorhome cover from as little as 70p per day.

Motorhome Breakdown

You will love our breakdown cover from only £47.50.

Touring Caravan Insurance

Award-winning insurance that starts at just £66.

Latest on the blog

Caravanning for Beginners

The idea of a self-contained, self-sufficient getaway is more appealing than ever at the moment. Offering the freedom to explore the best of the UK (and to tweak your plans at short notice), caravan holidays…

Read More
general touring caravan insurance
General Touring Caravan Insurance: Everything You Need to Know

Don’t let an unforeseen event sideline your touring caravan weekend getaway. If you purchase a new caravan, it’s vital to protect yourself from a variety of unfortunate possibilities. But, there are a few things that…

Read More